The correct procedure to transfer your files from one computer to another computer is to:
- Install a fresh copy of the TaxACT program from download or the TaxACT provided CD.
- Copy your return files from the old computer using a flash drive, external drive, CD or network connection.
We do not recommend that you copy the whole program because there are file associations and registry settings that are created during an install. You are always free to re-download any previously purchased software, which eliminates the need to transfer program and installation related files.
Copying files to New Computer
You should use Windows Explorer to copy your files to the correct location indicated below. We recommend that you copy the files to the same directory on the destination computer. For additional information on copying files, you should consult the help files provided by your Operating System within Windows Explorer or your CD Creation Software.
Should you have difficulty opening a file once it is on the new computer, you should use Windows Explorer again to make sure that the "Read Only" attribute is not checked on your return file. File Attributes can be viewed by highlighting the file, right click on the file to bring up the pop up menu, and then choose "Properties."
Location of TaxACT Return Files
TaxACT tax return files have a file extension of .taX where X is the last digit of the tax year. 2010 returns have a file extension of .ta0, 2011 returns have a file extension of .ta1, and so on.
The location of these return files depends on the program type you are using (Professional or Consumer) and the tax year. Please refer to the information below:
TaxACT Desktop Consumer Users (Deluxe, Free Federal, Retail Premier)
- For 2008 later returns, the return file is saved under the My Documents folder of the profile which created the return, in the TaxACT 2008 or the TaxACT 2009 folder.
For example, if your sign-in name is JSmith, the 2011 return files would be saved in JSmith's My Documents in a folder called TaxACT 2011.
- For 2007 and earlier returns, the return file is located in the program's installation directory (C:\Program Files\2nd Story Software\TaxACT 2007).
TaxACT Professional Preparers:
- For 2009 and after, return files are found at:
C:\2nd Story Software\TaxACT 200X Preparer's Edition\Client Data
- For 2008 preparers with Windows Vista, return files will be located at:
C:\2nd Story Software\TaxACT 2008 Preparers - 1040 Edition\Client Data
- For programs for tax years 2007 and before, the return file is located at:
C:\Program Files\2nd Story Software\TaxACT 200X Preparers - 1040 Edition\Client Data